Saturday, October 10, 2009

For Everything There is a Season

You can't talk about "seasons" of the year without acknowledging that life, itself, has seasons. I was reminded of this multiple times this week .... when I pulled my hair into a ponytail and saw lots of gray :) .... when JoHanna asked if she could have my recipe books in "the Will" :) (no harm meant!) ... and then when Jacob saw me shaving Jeff's neck and shrieked: "You have to shave the back of your neck? Life just got a whole lot more depressing!" He set himself up for a "be glad you don't have to shave your legs" comment. :)

Ah, seasons. Can't stop them. Have to embrace them.

Ecclesiastes 3 says that,
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven ...

11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. ...

14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

Click here to read the whole passage.

The other day I was having lunch with a few other gals, and Jacob happened to be trapped ... I mean, able ... to join us. As we finished lunch and chatted, I noticed a little chili residue on the corners of my boy's mouth. I did what any mother instinctively does while in the "little boy's mom" season ... I kept on chatting, multi-tasking and taking my napkin to lean over and wipe the smears. ;/

Jacob's cry of "Mom!" was only muffled by the laughter of my girlfriends and their chiding that I had to realize I have reached a new season ... a season when mothers don't wipe dirty mouths on their tween boys in public anymore. Sad, but true. Years ago I would have wiped (and yes, even licked my napkin!) until his cheeks were red and chapped and CLEAN. He has reminded me all week of this lesson I am learning about shifting with the seasons, and he gave me permission to share my blunder. If you see a boy around Knoxville with a dirty mouth, it's probably mine ... at least until the "I care about what girls think of how I look" season hits. Then you'll find him locked away in a tiny closet downstairs. :)

One good thing about this season, though ... my kids are at great ages to carry their own pumpkins, sweep acorns from the deck, rake leaves, carry firewood, :) and marvel out loud at what they're learning about the seasonal changes they see ... in nature around them and in THEIR own nature. Every season has its sweetness.

Have you ever found life's changing seasons to be a challenge?

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Anonymous said...

Jul, I am so aware of this - especially as I am blessed to love and hold baby Lily (and think of the days when mine were so small). I'm glad the Lord goes with me through all seasons - I need Him desparately! By the way, I loved Jo and Jake's pics - they look amazing, and I can't wait to see them soon!!!! Love u all, JLC

Warren Baldwin said...

Neat post. Yes, seasons are challenging. Cheryl and I are rapidly approaching the 'empty nest' season - two kids are grown and one still left at home, a high school junior. Some challenges and tough adjustments, but like with anything else, God always has a silver lining for us to enjoy. As much as we loved the kids and running to every sport/activity they were in, we are finding we can now enjoy a few more nights at home with just the two of us.

Good post, and I like how you tied this in with Eccl.

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Great post - thus far - this is my FAVORITE season! I found the toddler years draining and finally we can have "real" conversation - I am so enjoying my kids (ages 4 and 6). I used to feel like I was disciplining them all day long and finally I am seeing fruit of my labor and they are heeding my warnings! Praise the Lord! Although I will probably regret this comment in the morning when I'm pulling my hair out trying to get everyone off to church hehe!

Kristi_runwatch said...

Your conversations with the kids cracked me up!!!!!!!

I keep trying to remind myself not to try to rush the season I'm in... I'm with Courtney - these years with "littles" are tiring and difficult, but precious at the same time.

If the kids want to rake our yard, send them on up. :)