Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall Fried Chicken ~ Tasty Tuesday

Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday have great recipes to inspire us today. Here is one of our family favorites for the fall table. This is an original from my kitchen, and I am happy to share it with you today. When you get to the end, don't decide "NOT" to try it. Trust me :) This really is fantastic served with MAPLE SYRUP.

Fall Fried Chicken

  • 8 chicken breast halves
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten

Combine these 3 ingredients and soak the chicken pieces in the mixture. Meanwhile, in a ziploc bag mix:

  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 c. smashed walnuts or pecans (Not just chopped. Needs to be fine.)
  • 1 1/2 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1 t. baking powder

Put two pieces of chicken at a time into the bag with the dry mixture (draining the egg 1st) and shake 'til coated. Place them on a plate to rest until time to fry. Heat 1/2 inch of oil (I use canola or vegetable) in a large frying pan with at least a 1 1/2 inch high side. Fry the chicken in oil about 15 minutes per side. Careful not to "fiddle" with the pieces too much, or the coating will be lost, and that IS a tragedy. :) Let them cook, and be careful not to let the oil get too hot. Smoking oil = a mess. If the oil looks like it's starting to make designs, you're getting too hot. :) You want a nice golden brown coating, not dark. Gently lift fried pieces from the oil and drain on paper towels. Don't cover with foil for very long, as it will catch the condensation and spoil your crunchy coating.

I love to serve this with baked rice, buttered carrots, & wheat rolls. For dessert a pumpkin spice roll is perfect. Maybe someone else will post that today, or I'll save it for another time.

FINAL TOUCH: Serve with a small pitcher of warmed syrup and encourage your guests to drizzle a little over top or on the side. They will be SO glad they did, and you will enjoy the rave reviews. This dish just says "Fall" in every bite. ENJOY!


7 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Kristi_runwatch said...

Sounds delicious!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to try this one...

Kara said...

This sounds DELICIOUS! I am definitely going to try this one! Thanks!

Brenda said...

I bet these are delicious with nuts!

Unknown said...

Oh, this sounds very good! I've made fried fish with pecan meal before...chicken would be delicious I'm sure :)

Blessings!
Gail

Julie said...

YUMMY!! I am going to try this (gluten free of course!!) :) Gotta love maple syrup, our families favorite!! We have to go back "home" (upstate NY)to get the real stuff!! I have never had it on chicken, but it sounds amazing!! Thanks Julie!!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Kindly remember to warn any dinner guests you are serving this to that it contains nuts. I am violently allergic to tree nuts and peanuts, and I would never have thought to ask before eating fried chicken. I will now.

It sounds really good for those of you without the nut allergies. We aren't gluten free here, however youngest dd is allergic to dairy, egg, soy, peanut, etc....which makes for creative cooking.

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Heidi adds a great caution ... I've had to ask my guests, before serving this. So far, I haven't had any with an allergy for this meal. I think that the syrup is still a special addition to fried chicken, even if you need to omit the nuts. There are so many substitutions out there ... so that does make cooking "fun" and creative!