Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ Chicken & Pork Adobo

My heart and mind have been "in the Philippines" since hearing about the horrible flooding and damage caused by Tropical Storm Ondoy. Images have been coming from Asia since Saturday. Because our family spent several years as part of a missions team in Asia and lived on the island of Luzon, the names and pictures of the impacted areas are very familiar. I've chosen this traditional Filipino dish today to encourage others to remember and pray for the Philippines and those who are suffering.

Check back later today, as I start a series of posts about how to pray for people who are affected by natural disasters, particularly those already in vulnerable settings.

Chicken & Pork Adobo

  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed (I like to use more than 1)
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 T. sea salt
  • 1-4 T. soy sauce
  • 1 chicken cut up (I like to use about 4 boneless chicken breasts, cubed)
  • 1 pound of pork, cubed
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups water
  • 2 - 3 T. oil

In a saucepan, combine vinegar, garlic, pepper, bay, salt, soy sauce. Add meat and mix thoroughly. Soak 20-30 min. Add water. Simmer, uncovered, until tender. Strain sauce. Set aside.

Brown garlic and meat in oil. Return all to saucepan, cover and simmer on low until thickened. Serve over white rice. I like to have a fruit salad with this.

Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday are great resources for other excellent recipes. Last week I found a recipe for muffins and got rave reviews from my family and Sunday morning group. In the Philippines, that's "masarap"!

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Unknown said...

Praying! We are having missions month in October and an international potluck to kick it all off. This dish looks like just what I need to take. Thanks for posting. BTW, I've had pork adobo and I've had chicken adobo but never had the 2 mixed...very intersting.

Blessings!
Gail

Kristi_runwatch said...

Thanks for the heads up about the Philippines - I'm so disconnected from news that I hadn't heard that.

I'm going to try this recipe this week and I'm looking forward to your series on praying for them.

Brenda said...

I love this but I usually make it with just pork. It does make me think of the Philippines and all the rough things they are going through right now.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

That really sounds good. I have been concerned about the Philippines as well.I have dear friends who are living over there for missions. I contacted her. They are safe, as the flooding is north and they are south.
Have a blessed week!