Thursday, July 2, 2009

Self-check at 6 months

So my computer has been a little slow lately. Yesterday I turned it on, clicked for the internet, and thought I'd go throw in laundry while it came up. Had I known how long it would be .... I would've gone out for lunch, taken the kids to see a movie, or finished my master's degree! Well, I couldn't be too hard on my dear laptop, since I realize that sometimes we all need to perform a "self-check." Like me, the systems need to be reset. In fact, since July has just begun, and we have passed the first 6 months of the year, it's a great time for a little evaluation.

On Tuesday my sweet husband picked me up in a slick white Mercedes convertible (borrowed, mind you ...), presented me with a basket of all of my favorite things, and drove me through the country to a romantic inn for dinner and some quiet time to stroll and chat and love being together. He also gave me the gift of "looking back" on our 19 years of marriage and doing a little joint self-checking. It keeps us moving in the right direction, God's direction. Having an anniversary at the end of June is great timing in our year.

I like to take my basic goals for the year, that I pray over and determine in January (check here for more ideas about setting priorities ... it's never too late), and make them into an acronym I can remember. You know, a silly "word" I can use as a computer password, write on my planner, utter in my sleep, or mutter under my breath when unexpected things happen and wreck my best laid plans. This year, it is: SENEBS.

I know. You want to know what SENEBS means. Only my sweet family knows, so they can keep my accountable. SENEBS could be yours too (for 19.95, plus a knife...) but with a meaning that is unique to YOU. Maybe you set specific goals long ago, back in January, when we were passing around recipes for stews and looking for yarn to crochet scarves (One of my S's does NOT stand for that; I am too realistic about myself).

If you could see, as God does, into all facets of my private self, you would probably think I look a lot like my computer: not as efficient as I should be, making those I'm meant to serve wonder and wait, acting like someone left a few crumbs deep in my being ... like I need to do a thorough self-check. It's a great time of year to evaluate, and I will tell you this one: one of my "E's" DOES stand for Evaluation. It's time in my life. I need to ask questions like:

  • - How am I doing as a follower of God? Am I studying His Word & worshiping Him? Am I clean in my heart?
  • - How am I doing as a wife and mom? Daughter? Friend?
  • - How am I doing in ministering to others, as a pastor's wife and women's ministry leader, in my case?
  • - How am I doing as a steward of the abilities & opportunities God has given me?
  • - How am I doing in reaching out to those around me and those around the world?
  • - How am I doing in becoming more like Christ and less like me?
  • - How am I doing living in a "place of peace" in my life, whatever the circumstances?

Saturday we leave for vacation, and I'm looking forward to what God will show us as a family as we "self-check" and rest in Him. I know I need it. I will share some "scheduled blogs" while I'm gone, but while I'm away "self-checking," feel free to go have lunch, see a movie, or finish your master's degree. I've got some work to do, so it may take a little while. :)

Psalm 139:23, 24 (NLT)
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 Point out anything in me that offends you,and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

3 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Joyfull said...

Fantastic reminder that we need a check up every now and again! Loved the Scripture that you shared. It is always needful for God to search us and create in us purity and holiness. Have a great vacation!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jul, what a timely reminder and challenge. Thank you! You always lead me in His ways and I'm grateful for that :-) Love and blessings on your vacation adventure, Jenny (your sis)

Carrie said...

An inspiring post!