Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tempt My Tummy n' Tasty Tuesday

In honor of Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday, here's a way to make your own unique dressing. Having a homemade dressing really makes a family dinner or sitting down with guests extra special. This time of year, salad greens from the Farmers Market can be the centerpiece of a summertime feast.

In light of our recent "flood fiasco" (check here), I want to say how wonderful it is when our kitchens are "blessing ready," meaning we are ready to take a meal to a friend in need. I was that "friend in need" last week, and two friends brought meals for the weekend, just to lift our load and make life easier. We enjoyed a fantastic chicken dish and a comforting spaghetti pie, both delicious. We can't let uncertainty in the kitchen deter us ... everything tastes good when it's "rescue a friend" food! :)


Creamy Garlic Dressing

1 c. canola or vegetable oil
1/2 c. sour cream (I use light)
1/4 c. half and half (or a little less if you need to use milk ... use what you have)
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1 t. salt
1 t. minced garlic (or garlic powder)
To add flair to match the meal, I sometimes add 1 t. freshly grated peppercorns, 1/8 c. parmesan cheese, or 1 T. fresh minced herbs (try rosemary, oregano, or thyme to taste). Chill (the dressing ... and yourself!) until you're ready to serve. Shake well (the dressing). :) Enjoy!

6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

I love a fresh green salad on these hot summer days. The dressing sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Christi

AudreyO said...

I just had a salad last night with a light creamy garlic dressing. It was from a bottle though LOL

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yum - this is too fun that we were on the same page with giving recipes. Can't wait to try yours. Ok, techie question. I should know how to put a cool box around text like you did....can you tell me how to do that. I always see people highlighting words like that I don't know how. :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, this sounds delish! WE love gah-lic! :D I'm saving this one! :D Thanks for sharing!

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Mmmm...this sounds good! I'm copying and pasting this one into my save file! Thanks!

Michelle said...

I'm a big fan of making your own dressing. They always taste so much better and I'm sure are far healthier. I like the looks of this one, thanks!