Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Plan to be refreshed!

If you don't plan ahead for dinner, you're more likely to have frittata a la freezer. If you don't plan ahead what you'll wear to work or for a night out, you're more likely to go wrinkled (my personal favorite), late (better that than never), or feeling dowdy (it happens). If you don't plan ahead to send a birthday card, you're more likely to fall into the "belated wishes" category (oh, but do still send them).

Bible Study is the same way, maybe worse, since there's an enemy working against our success. Add the fact that it's summer with our minds are in vacation mode, and we can feel like we're fighting an uphill battle. It's like trying to keep sand out of your suitcase while vacationing at Hilton Head. But this season of flexibility, longer daylight, and potential time off isn't the time to check out spiritually. It's a great time to get refreshed in God's Word. In fact, having God's truth trickling through our minds will help to ward off temptation in these footloose days of summer. During the year, I love studying God's Word with a group of other women. I usually take part in teaching a Precept study for some "roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty digging" into rich truth. If many days of summer pass without laying out a plan for studying on my own, I have no doubt I'll end up like my squash plants usually do .... withered, hollow on the inside (from a worm), and fruitless. NOW is the time to make a basic plan for spending some time where it makes a difference all year long!

Psalm 119 gives us great reasons for why we should not leave our Bibles out of our "summer bag," but make sure that we include it right in there with the sunscreen, the glasses, the travel guide, and the yard gloves. God's Word will quench our life's thirst.

129 Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.

130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.

131 I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.

132 Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.

133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.


In the next few days, I want to share my simple plan for soaking up some of God's truth, and each day I'll also share a fantastic summer recipe that will put you one step ahead for dinner ... or that weekend picnic ... or that small group cookout. Here's one to get you started!

Mother-in-law's Macaroni Salad: Serves 8
2 c. dry macaroni (Cook and drain)
3/4 c. mayo
1/4 c. milk
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. red cayenne pepper
1/2 c. diced green or red pepper
6 oz. diced sharp cheese
Optional: 1/2 c. diced olives
Mix well the mayo, mustard, rc pepper, and milk. Pour over macaroni, add vegetables and cheese. Mix well and chill. Stir well before serving. We love to serve this with grilled chicken (check tomorrow's post) and corn on the cob. Jeff's mom made the original and added celery and tabasco. ENJOY!
(In the photo, I used orange peppers, because they were on sale. I left out the olives that we love, because they were NOT on sale. :) )

5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Kristi_runwatch said...

I like this series idea! I linked to it on my blog today... hopefully some others will come learn from you, also! :)

Julie said...

Thanks, Kristi! PTL I had a great chance to share more pieces of the Good News with my hairdresser this morning. Please pray for Heather. God is really working in her life.

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Amen sister! Excellent and true!!!! Let's soak it up this summer! I can't wait to read your next part in this series.

By the way, I was excited to see you lead Precept studies - my mom has led them for over 30 years!!! I LOVE Kay and her studies are excellent! One of my favorite memories growing up was seeing my mom at the kitchen table with her colored pencils and precept study out. I love precept - although I am a huge Beth Moore fan too!

Julie said...

That's so neat, Courtney. I really hope that my kids can say that some day about me!

Anonymous said...

Jul - I am so excited for your ideas to "soak up summer" spiritually too! Plus, I always need dinner ideas - as you know I'm a terrible planner :-( Can't wait for tomorrow's blog!!! Love, Jenny