Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Worms

I saw a candle once that tried to recreate the aroma of fresh spring rain. It didn't come close. That fragrance is so obviously heaven mixed and "scent." It's like everything is open wide for refreshment. I love to sit on my porch and smell the rain coming.

But how about after the rain? Now where does that smell come from? Worms. Walk out onto a large area of pavement (this is a great excuse to go to Kohl's on a rainy sale day) and just take note of all of the worms. The longer it rains, the more there are, and they don't smell good when we get to talking "multitudes." Then it's time to light that candle, even if it doesn't really smell like fresh spring rain.

Last week we had enjoyed several days of soaking spring rains when I parked (yes, in the Kohl's lot for a sale day) my car and began to walk across the lot. I noticed "it", because it was so long and was moving so fast. It broke several of my pre-conceived worm ideas right there: I didn't think worms moved fast (unless they're on my dad's fishing hook), and I didn't think they usually stayed in one long piece for very long. But this one did and was, so much so that the whole family came over to watch him. If we had been Hindus, I guess we would've picked him up and moved him to safety, but we aren't, so we didn't. We didn't look at him as a precious life to save. But we did acknowledge that he had a lot of guts (no pun intended) for a worm, and he was the picture of perseverance. If only he could've seen how big that Kohl's parking lot was … and how far he was from the dirt! In fact, if he would've turned around, he would've been about 6 feet from the mulch, instead of the countless feet before him on the path he'd chosen.

It's not surprising that scripture compares us to the mighty worm. David described himself as a worm in Psalm 22, and in Isaiah 41:14, God describes His chosen nation, Israel, as a worm. It may not seem very flattering, but it makes me feel very loved. When I think of how helpless, how foolish, and how small that worm was in the parking lot, I think of how I must look to God. Yet in Isaiah 41 He expresses His affection and protection for His people who are like that worm: "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." From my place on the pavement, as a follower of God, I think that gives me great hope that I am divinely loved, and I will be helped and protected in the challenging journey that is life. Knowing that gives me a great sense of peace, even when the mulch is far, the rain hard, and the traffic regular. Next time you catch that whiff of "post rain worm," remember how the Creator of the Universe loves us. Amazing!

2 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, this is the first - and probably only - time I have had good thought about a worm. :-)

Yet still, I HATE that smell....

healingsoul said...

I really love your everyday life analogies of seeing God speak even in a worm.