Thursday, March 15, 2012

Do you love your shower scum?

Have you ever said, "That's just the way I am"?  I know I have, but those 6 words are packed with meaning like:

  • so don't expect me to change
  • so when I blow it, don't bother confronting me
  • so if I offend you, deal with it
  • and I just don't know how to change it
  • but I've tried to conquer it, and I feel defeated in that area
  • and the Holy Spirit doesn't need to go messin' with that flaw
I've been wearing a new fragrance. It's called "essence of bleach." It started when I decided to try and save a few minutes by cleaning the shower ... AS I shower. I left a bottle of Soft Scrub with Bleach (LOVE that stuff) and a stiff scrub brush in the shower corner. While my conditioner's doing it's thing, I do my cleaning thing.

I thought I would just take care of the clumpy soap bubble build up, because I knew that the stains are exactly that:  stains. I've even blamed them on "those last people" who lived here, were "really dirty," and "didn't clean the shower." I've also blamed it on the shower, saying it was just a cheap piece to begin with. There may be a little truth in both, but when I started my new approach to scrubbing, many of the stains started disappearing.

The flaws were not permanent; they were just ignored.  I had gotten so used to their presence that I thought, "That's just the way it is," but it doesn't have to be. I just needed a new approach to my familiar flaw. I think Paul wanted the Philippians to know that when it comes to dirty stains in our lives, "he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:6).  God empowers us to be clean, not to just get comfortable with our scum.
  • Do you have a habit you've been making excuses for? 
  • Is there an abrasive personality trait you've been expecting others to endure? 
  • Have you been accepting something that's offensive to God?
Don't blame it on the people who came before you or the temporary materials you're made of. Those of us in a relationship with Jesus Christ have been made fully clean, and the power of the Holy Spirit can penetrate the deepest stains left behind by our sin.  

Is it time for you to go back and deal with some scum?  Clean is a beautiful fragrance to wear!

2 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Rach said...

Thank you. This was a well written, very much needed blog to read today. 

Julie_Sanders said...

You are welcome, friend. Glad it was good timing.
Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 5:27 AM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template