And the news of a new royal in the land of Israel rocked their political world. "When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him" (Mt. 2:3). Everyone was in upheaval when wise men came looking for the one who had been born "king of the Jews." By no choice of his own, the gentle carpenter from Nazareth found himself the caretaker of the Son of God (the lightning rod). The newlywed was assigned the job of father to Jesus' earthly family during a volatile time in a violent place. It was dangerous. They were a marked family. This man had no choice but to multi-task!
Joseph's story is like a deep undercurrent flowing beneath the story of Christmas. You have to read behind the main plot and look for him to find out who he was. The story that emerges is one of a man, maybe the first man, who had to choose how he would respond to making room for Jesus in his own life ... in his FAMILY! ... in his MARRIAGE! ... in his MARRIAGE BED! ... in his REPUTATION! ... in his CAREER! Joseph was the first to personally have his life turned upside down by the coming of Jesus as a baby man. Much of Joseph's story can be read HERE.
From Joseph's story, we discover that a man who makes room for Jesus puts the Heavenly Father first.
A man who makes room for Jesus ...
- has a career he uses, instead of being used by his career
- has a reputation he will risk for the right reason
- has upright habits
- has a compassionate heart
- has a desire to be a protector
- has a mind that considers his course
- has an obedient attitude to do all God says without procrastinating
- has trustworthy conduct, even in private moments
- has a brave spirit and acts confidently
- has sensitivity to God's direction
- has patience to wait for God's timing
- has a nature that yields to God
- has humility to let the Heavenly Father come first
A man who makes room for Jesus puts the Heavenly Father first.
God uses humble men who make room for Him.
If you missed one, you may also want to look back and read the first 3 in our Advent Series Prepare Him Room ~ Making Room for Jesus: