Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ... Bacon Swiss Muffins

If you read about S.O.S. yesterday (Somalia on Saturdays) you know the Horn of Africa is battling a famine. Millions of people are affected. Knowledge of the crisis has made me approach preparing food for my family with a fresh gratitude. I know the mothers in the Dadaab Refugee Camp long to feed their families. It's humbling to have a full plate, isn't it?  

I'm praying many of you will think, pray, and give with me for Somalia on Saturdays - S.O.S.


School starts in less than 2 weeks here, and I'll be sending both of my kids off to high school this year.At a stoplight the other morning, I noticed that the drivers in front of and behind me were both eating breakfast. I shook my head in pity ... then realized that I had grabbed a cereal box and wedged it between the 2 front seats. That's not a good way to stay the day.  :/



So for this month of starting school I want to share some great recipes that make for easy, healthy, even easy to freeze breakfasts. This one tastes PHENOMENAL. The texture is so unique for a muffin, and yet it includes some protein and freezes easily. It's a quick breakfast I wouldn't feel bad about grabbing from the freezer, warming it up, and then sending it off for the ride to school. It also makes a perfect accompaniment for soup once the school year is underway. I hope you'll enjoy it.


Bacon Swiss Muffins

Beat together: 
1/2 stick of soft butter
2 T. sugar
3/4 cup of buttermilk (I rarely buy buttermilk, so just put 1 T. vinegar in the measuring cup before you add the milk, and it becomes a substitute for buttermilk!)
1 egg
1 c. grated swiss cheese
1/3 c. parmesan cheese (yes, out of the shaker)


Add:
1 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
6 strips of crisp bacon, crumbled small

Spoon the batter (It will be thick) into 12 muffin cups (sprayed with cooking spray) or muffin papers. Bake at 400 degrees for 21-23 minutes.


They are AMAZING right out of the oven, but they are also great to freeze and reheat on a busy morning when you need more than a pop tart. ;)

0 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT: