Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday #2 in S.O.S. for Somalia

What's happening on your Saturday? Errands? Pool? Laundry? If you're like me, you probably don't find yourself sitting in one place, staring in silence for long on a Saturday. That's not really what "Think, pray, give" looks like. Today, with Jeff out of the country, I will be camped out all day at a soccer tournament. I'll have some "empty hours" and waiting times between games, and we'll have some time in the car. I'm actually glad to have a "place" to point my thoughts; I won't feel like that waiting time is wasted. I'll have some time to think and pray, and I'll have opportunity to give.


As we do whatever we do (Sounding a lot like 1 Cor. 10:31) we can turn our thoughts to the things that lay on God's heart.
- As I cheer for my son (Go Jake!!!) I can give thanks for the food I was able to serve him this morning and the health he enjoys.
- As I drive the hour to the tournament, I will consider the miles being walked by the frail and vulnerable masses in their search of food.
- As I sit in the sun and feel tempted to complain about the heat, I will pray for those who are longing for shade and relief.
- As I respond to my hot and sweaty child, I will rejoice in the privilege of having clean, cold water to give him to quench his thirst. And ice!!
What's happening on your Saturday? 

I have to confess. Spending ALL day at a soccer tournament wasn't my idea of what I wanted to do on the last Saturday before school starts. I had plans. I complained. Call me a bad "soccer mom," but I have to be honest. Somehow thinking, praying, and giving in the direction of "Somalia on Saturdays" S.O.S. puts my day into perspective and changes my complaining to gratitude. God seems to be using S.O.S. to do some work on me, too.


What about you? Has your awareness of the suffering in Africa challenged you at all? Tell me how. Others will be encouraged to hear, too. I'd love it if you would take a moment to let me know.   

As for me, I'll be sitting in the heat ALL day long, cheering for my healthy boy, drinking lots of water ... and giving much thanks while I ponder Somalia on Saturdays.

0 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT: