Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Battling myself

It's easy to make a decision to do something, but following through is the challenge. God knows this about us. He made us and has intimate understanding of our frailties.


When it comes to caring for my physical body in a way that honors God, I think I can relate to the words of the Apostle Paul:

From the Message version of Romans 7:14-20

"What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time."  (emphasis mine)
Can you relate to Paul?  He sounds like a woman who just had an encounter with an eclair and a Grande latte (extra whip)!

Thankfully, when the Spirit of God lives within us, we have His strength to depend on in helping us walk in strength. I can ask Him to overcome my flesh and control my desires and my weaknesses and make me strong, instead. I can ask HIM to help me to be Fit 4Faith and know He'll listen and help.  And He'll bless me as I obey.


Dear Lord, 
I really do want to let You be the Master of my physical body. I want to honor You with it in the way I live and care for myself. I want my body to be ready to serve You when You give me opportunities. I am so weak and sometimes find myself yielding to things like TV or bags of cookies or vanity, instead of You. Please be the Master of my heart and my body. You made me and know me best, so help me to honor You with the frame you've given to me. Even so, I look forward to that glorified body I'll enjoy someday!
Dependent on you ~ 

0 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT: