Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ... Creamy Apple Vinaigrette

 I don't know about you, but about this time in February ... I feel like I really need a SALAD!


When we had company for dinner Tuesday night, I got inspired to do some creative cooking and make my own salad dressing. Doesn't CREAMY APPLE VINAIGRETTE sound delicious? I thought it did, so I decided to create it, and here's what I did:



Creamy Apple Vinaigrette

All in a blender I put:
One peeled Gala apple, cut in wedges
1/3 c. canola oil
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
a "tap" of ground allspice
2 Splenda packets
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. light mayo

I blended it all up until it was creamy smooth, and I chilled it for a couple hours 'til dinner time. I served it over a mixed green salad sprinkled with feta cheese, crunched up dried apple chips and my "special" walnuts (see directions below). With the Creamy Apple Vinaigrette drizzled on top, this winter salad was really divine. It made me feel like spring is right around the corner. :)

To make my special nuts for salad (no measurements here, just "feel it"), take about 1 1/2 cups of walnuts or pecans. Put them in a small frying pan with about  1 1/2 - 2 T butter. Sprinkle about 2 - 3 tsp sugar on top and then cook on low, stirring, until the butter and sugar are melted and coat the nuts.  Stir another minute or so more, but don't let it smoke at all; keep the heat pretty low. Pour the toasted nuts into a bowl lined with wax paper.  Let them cool and then put them away in a sealed container in the garage ..... :) Because if you leave them in the kitchen, you WILL eat a lot of them before the guests come and have to make more.  Just guessing ;) 

Yes, it's winter, but we really need our veggies. Creamy Apple Vinaigrette is a refreshing way to serve a salad while we wait for spring.

Tomorrow, another refreshing example of what women do for love. Subscribe for email updates on the right sidebar, so you don't miss any of the encouragement.

5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Meechr said...

That sounds scrumptious! I've never heard of a recipe like that before. For this gluten/dairy free mama, I am always thankful for recipes that I can actually have! Thank you, Julie!

Kathy said...

I really appreciate your recipe. It is easy to make and I had all the ingredients on hand. I used mixed greens, dried cranberries, and toasted walnuts with maple syrup on them. I sliced up an apple spritzed with lemon to prevent browning. Very simple, very good.
Thanks for a great recipe.
Kathy

Julie_Sanders said...

So glad you enjoyed it!

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Just what I'm looking for!  I am going to substitue Agave Nectar for the Splenda (I'm not in to artificial sweetners).  I'm using it for my Spinach salad with strawberries, red onion, feta cheese and walnuts.  YUMMY!

Julie_Sanders said...

That sounds like a great idea! I like to use honey, too - eliminates any of those potential issues and adds so many benefits.

Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________