Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ The best thing I did Monday

Well, it's Tasty Tuesday, and "I got nuthin'." :)  After a productive Monday morning, I had a migraine that crept up like the changing of the leaves in fall. By early afternoon I was in bad shape. By evening I wanted someone to put me in a dark hole and leave me there. But let's get back to food. :)  I had a plan for dinner, and I had started the plan in the morning. My fam managed without me yesterday evening (rotisserie chicken is a wonderful thing!), but starting homemade applesauce in the morning might be the best thing I did yesterday! Here's what I did:

Migraine Day Applesauce ;)
I peeled and chunked a combo of Rome and Honeycrisp apples to fill a large crockpot about 3/4 full. I turned it on high at 10 am for about 2 hours (wasn't planning on being home all day, but things went otherwise). After that, I did a little "mushing" down of the apples and turned it to low for the next 8 hours. That was a little long, but  I was in a total fog til then. Even though I wasn't much help in the afternoon, the smell of the applesauce reminded my flexible fam that I loved them and hadn't abandoned them. :) And it encouraged me - as the smells of good food often do for us, right? 

The fam got home from soccer, babysitting, and a mtg, I stirred up those mushy apples, added about 2 T of cinnamon and 1/2 cup of brown sugar, stirred well, and served up bowls of warm applesauce. On a day when I wasn't at my best, that crockpot full of applesauce was probably the best thing I did all day.  (PS - Jeff took a pic for me ... love him! But it's not here. Just imagine.)

Funny how a pot of something hot and homemade and smellin' good can speak "love" to those around us and can lift our spirits. Maybe not so funny - Even Jesus chose food and drink to be the sensory reminders of His greatest act of love and the fellowship of His family. Serving His disciples a reminder of His love that would be passed on through all time ... one of the best things He did that day! (1 Cor. 11:24-26)

What are you cooking today to demonstrate love to your loved ones this week?  "My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth"  (1 John 3:17).  Applesauce is a deed! 

Hmmm ... that wasn't a recipe, but the prompting of God's Word turned out to be something wonderful for Tasty Tuesday! Maybe the best thing I did today. ;)

0 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT: