Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ... Easiest Caramel Popcorn

I Love popcorn. Not microwave popcorn, but "homemade" popcorn. It can be a problem. It led me to a recipe in the Quilter's Christmas Cookbook, and I modified it to what my fam likes, and ended up with t he easiest caramel popcorn recipe that is amazingly delicious. I took a big bowl full to a UT football game party last Saturday night, and let's just say .... it wasn't full when we got there. Like I said, it can be a problem. :)


So here's my caramel corn recipe for you. It's PERFECT for fall parties, especially if you add some food coloring like I did (made it orange for Univ. of Tenn. ;) ). Sadly, ALL of the other party people were dressed in UT orange, but my "out of state" family was redeemed by our big bowl of orange popcorn. Orange looks better on popcorn than it does on me!


Easy Caramel Popcorn

  • 10 cups of popped popcorn (I like to do mine with oil, etc, but microwave will work, too)
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/3 c. butter
  • 2 T. light corn syrup
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • sea salt

In a glass bowl mix the sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Microwave on high 2 min. Stir and microwave 2 more min. Stir in the vanilla (I forget this about 50% of the time ... it still works). If you want to add food coloring, do it now and stir well. Pour over the popcorn and stir quickly and evenly. Put 1/2 of the popcorn into a glass ungreased dish and microwave 1 min, stir, 1 more min, stir, 1 more min, stir. Dump popcorn onto foil to cool. Sprinkle sea salt over the coated popcorn. Regular salt will work, too, if you don't have the "sea" version. Don't add a lot; add just enough to make this sweet and salty = amazing!! As it cools, it crisps. Do the same with the other 1/2 of the popcorn.


I wish I could say that taking this popcorn to a football party will guarantee your team will win, but experience proved otherwise. :(


Thanks to Jen for hosting Tasty Tuesday and to Lisa for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at the Well today!

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Traci L said...

Yum! Thanks Julie! Http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com