Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ... Greek Salad

If you read about "Storming Castle Hill" you know that my hubby and I had the fun of visiting 4 of our missionary families overseas in recent weeks. It's a fast pace when ministering with my hubby who makes the most of such a journey, but one of the many, many enjoyable parts of the travel and fellowship together is ... the food. Gotta love food around the world and the way it reflects the people. This is a full week for me as I am prepping for a conference this weekend, but I just have to show you one awesome dish we enjoyed while staying with partners in Greece. Greek salads are served often and made of fresh, local ingredients. Since there were olives trees all over the property where we stayed and all over the hillsides where we traveled, it's not hard to believe that olives have a starring role in a Greek salad. Take a look at one we were served at a restaurant ...


I recreated a Greek salad when we got home, and this is what I used:

  • - Fresh tomatoes from a gal pal's garden
  • - Fresh cucumber from my local grocery store
  • - Vidalia onion
  • - Olives (just used the black canned kind available here)
  • I did NOT use a whole pepper (or any pepper) on top as in the picture above.

Once I sliced and layered the 4 ingredients, I drizzled/sprinkled 4 ingredients over the top:

  • - lemon juice
  • - balsamic vinegar
  • - olive oil
  • - a sprinkle of cracked pepper and a generous sprinkling of dried oregano

I left it in the fridge for a little while as dinner cooked, and then we pulled out this colorful, fresh, and healthy dish. Just before serving I cut several "slabs," in triangle shapes, of feta cheese and put them on top. That made it more authentic and tasty. Maybe it was the feta that made me want to say things like "oompa." ;)


Happy cooking and thanks to Lisa and Jen for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tasty Tuesday today!

6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Denise said...

We just came back from our summer vacation and we too went to Greece (Santorini, Rhodes, Olympia and Mykonos) I had a Greek salad every chance I got. They are so yummy!! (Gyros too)!

Anonymous said...

Delicious! But I want to see a picture of your "homemade" Greek salad :-) Welcome Home! P.S. What kind of olive oil do you use - I always seem to get the kind that doesn't take good plain (not cooked)?

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

I usually use the olive oil from Sam's Club. The taste is ok, and the price is good compared to a regular grocery store. I admit that I am excited to open the bottle of OO that I brought home in my suitcase. :)

Jacqueline said...

This looks fab. I would love that much cheese on mine!

Brenda said...

We do seem to be on a bit of a greek theme today. This is one of my favorite salads.

Cindy Bultema said...

Oh boy does that look DELICIOUS!! I'm going to give it a try! Yum!
Cindy :)