Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Why is life in the church hard?

Do you ever wonder ...

Why is life in the church so fraught with pain, if it’s full of followers of Jesus?


After 20 yrs of ministry life, serving with church staffs and missions teams and ministry teams, this is the question Kristi Stephens asked me to reflect on. She is in the midst of considering the letters to the 7 churches in Revelation. Click here to read how we answered this question yesterday.


Then I'd love to hear from you:

Why do you think life in the church can be the very setting that is most challenging for many believers?

Many people decide to avoid the potential for pain by staying out of church family life or on the outer edges, thinking that's "safe"; how does God want us to respond?

Click below, under my signature, to leave a comment. Sorry it wasn't working in the morning ... I think it's fixed now. If you comment as "Anonymous," just leave your email address if you would like for me to respond. I try to respond to all as I can, but I do read, learn from, and love all comments from my readers!

3 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Sorry comments weren't working earlier ... I think it's ok now. Love to hear from you :)
~ Julie

Unknown said...

Just like in other relationships in our lives, we tend to hurt those who are closest to us. Many people figure that by distancing themselves from their church family they will save themselves from pain. However, in order to really be blessed, we must strive to be a blessing to others!!

Kristi Stephens said...

Loved your post - thank you again for sharing your heart and perspective!

Churches really are like families... and while we might expect drama and sin in our extended families, somehow we expect our brothers and sisters in Christ to be better than that!

Even Peter and Paul had their bits of drama... we all have feet of clay.