Monday, May 24, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Banana Pudding Trifle

Now don't get scared and think this is hard to make ... it's not. ;) With that settled, you can read on and jot down ingredients to make it this weekend. It has "I'm so popular at the Memorial Day Picnic" written all over it! This was inspired by a version that's "kin" to another one from an old Southern Living.

Banana Pudding Trifle

Whisk together: 3 c. milk, 3 eggs, 3/4 c. sugar, and 1/3 c. all purpose flour in a medium saucepan over med-low. Whisk constantly while you cook for about 15 minutes until thickened.

Remove from heat and stir in: 2 T. butter and 2 t. vanilla extract.



Put the saucepan in a large bowl filled with ice (to cool the pudding) for 30 min.


Cut 5 medium bananas into fairly thick slices. Break cookies in halves or thirds (1 lb package of shortbread cookies or butter cookies with a hole in the middle).


Into a trifle bowl or large, clear salad bowl, layer cookies, bananas, pudding, then cookies, bananas, pudding. Spread whipped cream over the top.

Garnish with crumbled cookies sprinkled over the center.

Cover and chill until ready to serve (at least 2 hours but not more than 24).



This has "welcome summer" written all over it! So check out last week's Value of Vacation series or come back tomorrow for "the Value of Vacation ... with a Prayer".


Thanks Jen and Lisa for hosting Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

10 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Julie, this recipe looks great. My hubby would love it since he LOVES banana pudding. Since you asked about the Ranch style beans, I went back into my post and added a link and a picture. They are very common style bean to buy in Texas. Here is the link about these beans.
http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer/brands/getBrand.do?page=ranch_style

Thanks for linking to TMTT.

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Oh, Julie, my husband is a banana pudding afficianado ... I have to try this recipe. I use my great-grandmother's Banana Pudding recipe - though I now substitute 2% milk for the heavy cream in the custard. :) Cannot wait to give this a try.

{Have you ever substituted strawberries for the bananas? A few years ago we had a ton of strawberries and so I tried strawberry pudding instead of banana ... delicious!}

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

OH this is so pretty in the big bowl! I make this in individual bowls (with instant pudding) for the family for dessert sometimes - but never in a big bowl like that! It looks gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing!
Courtney
http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

Yum! This looks delicious - I love banana trifle.

Unknown said...

My mother has one similar that we love love love... and it was also inspired by a southern living mag, perhaps the same. But instead of vanilla wafers, she uses nutter butters! We call it Nana's Nutter Puddin'. My best friend asked for it at her wedding and my boyfriend asks for it anytime she is willing!

Janet said...

Mmm, I love banana pudding and this looks absolutely delicious.

Melinda said...

I agree! This just screams summertime picnics and potlucks! This looks yummy!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Love this! Looks great in the trifle bowl too.

I'd love it if you'd stop by for a visit.

:)
ButterYum

Brenda said...

This reminds me a lot of the old fashioned banana pudding with vanilla wafers, so yummy!

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Julie, I'm making this today - cannot wait! I'm using vanilla wafers & shortbread cookies ... and several different fruits (fresh peaches, strawberries, blueberries & bananas!!) I'll let you know how it turns out!