Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why Camp?

If you were with me yesterday, I said I'd explain why I had no time to create chive butter balls. The reason? We were madly packing to leave for a short camping trip. As you read this I have spent the last couple of nights "swamp side", falling asleep to the sound of a million frogs, trying to resist dreams of critters in my sleeping bag. I'm sure Jeff has assured me repeatedly that there are NO critters inside, just outside ;) We will have been hiking through the sandy forest, lizard hunting (I admit ... I only pretend. I really don't hope to catch any myself...), and walking along the Atlantic shore. This is our first beach camping experience. As I write this I am beyond excited. The ocean is just "therapy" for my spirit, and it speaks God's power to me like nothing else.


However ... in between games of Dutch Blitz, campfires, pancakes, sandy s'mores and swamp hikes, I am not so naive to think our time will not be interrupted by the realities of camping. I feel hesitant to make it sound "rough" since this time we will be staying in a pop up camper, will have hot showers a mere path away, will have real restrooms, and even a working light bulb (I may be setting myself for disappointment .... ). My manly mountain loving rugged Romeo is afraid we have sold out and are no longer really acting like true "campers," but I assure him that when I saw my last decade turn, my camping approach needed to morph. I'm ok with a slight sellout. :) So, I've accepted my role as "the camp wean." :) I'm afraid camping photos are not usually most flattering, but I'll share an old one for YOU! ;) Jeff actually says he loves me like this.


With all this in mind, I thought I should remind myself about WHY we camp and maybe even entice a few of my bloggy friends in the process. Here are the first 10 reasons I could think of:

  • our family gets alone away from technology and work
  • we have to work together to provide for the daily needs
  • the quiet is a great place to listen to each other, to ask each other questions, to share
  • we laugh a lot when we camp
  • parents have permission to be silly when we camp
  • we play games
  • we all smell the same: smoke, bacon, wool socks ... & we bring it home with us as a memory
  • the dog LOVES to go camping and the kids LOVE to have him camp with us ... sigh :)
  • we are reminded of so much about God's nature when we are immersed in creation
  • we have time to read and study and pray and think and even sing


I'm sure as you're reading I'm getting ready to come home now, and Jeff is telling me to make sure I shake all of the critters out of my sleeping bag. ;) We're teaching the kids how to pack up and clean up, or we're chasing a loose dog down the beach. We're carrying pounds of sand into the car to clean up when we're back home. Our sweet girl is trying to smuggle a crab into the car. But our spiritual and relational tanks are a little more full than when we left home, back where all the light bulbs are. We feel refreshed. I guess that's why we camp. Does that make sense? Do you camp? What fills your "tank"?


Can't wait to share with you when I get back about what the Lord teaches me. I'm taking a great study Bible, a clean notebook, and the anticipation of spending some quiet time with my Jesus. Even with the swamp sounds, it will be really quiet, and I can't wait to hear what the Lord has to say.

7 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Teresa said...

Sigh...I'm breathing deeply in as I feel refreshed from reading your blog and I imagine hearing your tender voice...although, I have never met you...I am blessed by your writings unto our Lord!
Daughter of the King you are lovely!
Teresa
I found you on Sanctified Together as I read your beautiful 'Divine Obstacles'...I am also a contributing writer...I'm so glad that I came by...

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Ohhh, how fun, Julie!! We "camp" all summer long. We have a 32 foot camper that stays at a resort on the lake. Now, with all that said, we have electricity, cable TV, and a working normal bathroom with a shower, lol!! THAT is my kind of camping. And if it rains, we have an indoor pool at the lodge to have fun in.

I know, I know sooooo not real camping, but it serves it's purpose, FAMILY TIME!!!

Blessings,
Cara

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Ohhh, how fun, Julie!! We "camp" all summer long. We have a 32 foot camper that stays at a resort on the lake. Now, with all that said, we have electricity, cable TV, and a working normal bathroom with a shower, lol!! THAT is my kind of camping. And if it rains, we have an indoor pool at the lodge to have fun in.

I know, I know sooooo not real camping, but it serves it's purpose, FAMILY TIME!!!

Blessings,
Cara

Cindy Bultema said...

Can't wait to hear all about your time at the swamp :) I'm also curious what Bible study you brought with you! :) Loved the pic ~ thanks for sharing!!
Praying for rich family time together!!
Cindy :)

Kristi Stephens said...

Oh - this sounds SO LOVELY. [although, I am completely in agreement about the lightbulbs and running water.]

I hope you had a wonderful and refreshing time together! I personally think camping on the NEW earth sounds much better - without biting insects or wild animals. ;)

Warren Baldwin said...

Enjoy the outdoor experience!

As an object lesson, do you know who camped? Jesus. The statement in John that Jesus campe for a moment and tabernacled with us (or lived among us) means "camp." The idea is that Jesus came for a short time and then moved on. Same idea with the tabernacle in the OT.

I imagine Jesus leaving the comforts of Heaven for life here was much like a camping experience.

wb

Anonymous said...

We just got home last night from staying in a cabin in the woods in WVA. OK, not even close to real camping, but still a wonderful, beautiful, refreshing, God-blessing experience! Sadly I must have my "clean conveniences" but greatly enjoy God's natural gifts to us too! Love, JLC P.S. Hope you guys had a great trip!