Friday, February 12, 2010

Great book: Becoming More ...

Dear readers, I think I made you nervous on Wednesday. Apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't like to think or talk about the "annual exam." ;) But I'm glad mine is over, and I hope you are making your physical health a priority, too.


Today, something exciting. I recently finished an excellent book that was sent to me to review (Thanks Proverbs 31 & Lysa!), and I want to pass along the title to you ~ "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl." It is the newest book by Lysa TerKeurst, president of Proverbs 31. I've had the pleasure of hearing Lysa speak, and I honestly felt like I was just listening to her share and teach as I read the book. She uses her own powerful testimony to present the value of learning to approach God's Word in a way that it makes a difference in our lives, beyond just getting more facts or knowledge.


Lysa is a masterful storyteller, so this book is an easy read. Just like when she speaks, Lysa has an ability to share stories that are very relatable and draw in my heart, then just when I'm all relaxed and open and personal, she reveals very pertinenet and purposeful truths of scripture. Through her transparency and what I like to think of as "sweat pants" (That's "real talk," as opposed to sequined pants and heels talk) style of conversation, Lysa addresses our heart, our walk with God, our relationships, our struggles, our thoughts, and our life's calling. If you haven't studied the Bible on your own, this is a motivational and helpful guide to begin with. There is a Bible study guide and a DVD available to accompany this study, if you would want to use it in a group format.


I like to pick a word to sum up books I read, and I would have to pick "inspirational" to sum up "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl." If you wonder if having an exciting spiritual life is really something we can have, Lysa will leave you believing it's not only possible, but it's what God intends for us to experience!


You can buy a copy from Amazon for less than $10 or order directly from Proverbs 31 for a little bit more, but it also supports the ministry there, and they are delightful ladies to deal with.


Or ... if you are a regular visitor here at Come Have a Peace, you can enter to win a copy. Here's how you can enter:



  1. leave a new comment on any Marriage Mondays post so far (since January)

  2. become a follower of this blog (see the tab on the right)

  3. subscribe to new posts by email (also see the tab on the right)

I will be so happy to announce the winner on Monday morning when the next Marriage Mondays will deal with "Icy Conditions." ;)


Are you reading a good book this weekend? I'm in the middle of Melanie Chitwood's "What a Husband Needs from His Wife" and will be happy to share that with you soon. Let me know if you have ideas for more great reads for cold winter weekends ... or warm spring break days (not too far off). Have a peaceful weekend!




7 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Joshlin said...

I left a new comment on your last Marriage Mondays post (which I think is great)!
savingmomssanity at gmail dot com

Joshlin said...

I follow your blog! I would really like to have this book. I am still reading my Bible and using my notebook, but it is taking longer than I thought. I spend more time thinking about it than reading. I didn't expect that:)
savingmomssanity at gmail dot com

Joshlin said...

I subscribe now too!
savingmomssanity at gmail dot com

Chaos Cottage said...

I have the Melanie Chitwood book. I have several books on marriage I would be willing to share with you. I'll get the titles together so you can see what I have.

Your neighbor, Pam

Cindy Bultema said...

Hello dear Julie :)
I already follow your blog ~ but I just signed up to receive e-mail updates (I should have done this sooner. I check every day to see if you've posted something new!)

Would love to read Lysa's book. I hop by her blog every once in awhile, and love reading her devotions. Please count me in for your giveaway! :)

Have a BLESSED weekend!!
Cindy :)

P.S. I think I have at least a dozen books on my nightstand ~ but the one I pick up the most is Beth Moore's new book on Insecurity. Have you read it yet??

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

I love her! I have one of her devotional books that is awesome. Right we are reading, "You Matter More Than You Think" by Dr. Leslie Parrot in Bible Study. Great book!!

Cara

Heidi Pocketbook said...

It sounds like a good read. I've never read any of her books, but I've heard her speak on the radio before. I like your analogy of the sweat pants talk. When I read Elizabeth George, I always feel that she is like a kindly aunt speaking to me through her words.

Hope you're having a nice Valentine's Day♥