Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Ritz Cracker Breakfast Cups


Last week out of desperation I bought a box of pop tarts! I've hit my "middle of the school year breakfast slump" (MSYBS for short). Today is the day for Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, so I'm going to share a brand new recipe I created for an easy, healthy, delicious breakfast option that can even be hand carried into the car (for those of us who consider the car to be our "other table"). :)

Ritz Cracker Breakfast Cups

Turn your oven on to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Put one Ritz cracker in the bottom of each hole.

Thinly slice a roma tomato and dice 1/2 a green pepper. Put one tomato slice and a sprinkling of green pepper on top of each cracker.





If you want more protein you can now toss in some bacon bits (To keep it healthy use turkey bacon), cooked sausage bits, or the rest of the ham lunchmeat no one wants. :) Sprinkle with grated cheese. I like colby jack, but you can spice it up or keep it simple, based on what the hungry morning people at your house like.







Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over each. With a whisk mix one egg and one tablespoon of milk PER 2 MUFFIN CUPS.


Pop it into the oven for 20 minutes. Let it rest on the stovetop for about 5 minutes before taking a knife around the edge of each cup. Remove onto a plate and serve. These are easy to just pick up and take with you, but send a napkin, or someone will be wiping "breakfast cup" on their jeans.



These keep well in the fridge for Day 2. My 12 year old says that without peppers ;) these get 4 or even 5 stars!

17 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Chaos Cottage said...

Ooh, these look really yummy. Must try these soon.

Pam

The Packet Queen said...

I will definitely be trying these!! I grabbed a couple of the seasoned egg beaters with coupons this weekend and I bet that'd work out good with these. Have you ever frozen and reheated them??

Warren Baldwin said...

Do you mail out samples?

I may have to try this.

wb

Cindy Bultema said...

Looks great! And I too have resorted to Pop Tarts lately! Thanks for the inspiration!! :)
Have a blessed week!!
Cindy :)

Unknown said...

Ummm those look so good! I will have to give those a try!

Olivia said...

Looks yummy! I may have to add this to another "Week of Muffins!"
http://suchakingdom.blogspot.com/2010/01/week-of-muffins.html

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Olivia, I love your week of muffins. And Warren I wish I could send samples! :) Pop tarts might work for that.

Unknown said...

Those really look yummy!! I will have to try those!

Brenda said...

These look great! Lots of good protein and vegetables for breakfast.

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

I LOVE this!!! Looks sooo good and fun to serve to others! Thanks!
Courtney

Warren Baldwin said...

So easy even a husband can make them ... and I did, this morning. Went over quite well. Thanks for the recipe.

When Cheryl asked where I got the idea I said I just thought it up. She knew better than to believe that. So, you got credit.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

GREAT idea!! Never thought of this one. Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT.

Kristi_runwatch said...

YUM!!! Great idea, Julie!

Kristen said...

What a clever & delicious idea!

The Packet Queen said...

I made these this morning!! So yummy, but I didn't have tomato in the fridge so I added spoonfuls of salsa on top of each cracker. Delicious - but the cracker floated up into the egg, I guess the tomato weighs it down... oops ;) Still really yummy and will be making again!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe - I have been baking these at supper time, when ever I am using the oven.

Bless you from a night-owl who really can't face cooking in the morning!
Suze
Fort Nelson, BC
Canana

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Suze, So happy that these have fit into your cooking routine in your kitchen! I love the chance to "be at your table" :)

~ Julie