Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Make Ahead French Toast

I got this recipe from my mother-in-law over the holidays and modified it a little for our kitchen. It's easy to make in advance and makes great leftovers.

Make Ahead French Toast (12 servings)

  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 3 t. cinnamon, divided
  • 3 tart apples, peeled, cored, sliced
  • 1 loaf of Italian bread cut in 1 in. slices
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 T. pure vanilla

  • Optional: 1/2 c. pecan or walnut pieces.


Mix the sugar, butter, & 1 t. cinnamon.

Spread it in a 13x9 dish. Layer apples over the top and toss gently to coat, evenly spreading in the dish. You can sprinkle nuts on top at this point, if you choose.

Arrange the bread slices over the top.




Mix remaining ingredients and pour evenly over the bread. Cover with foil and chill at least 4 hrs, up to 24 hrs.


Bake, covered with foil, in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 min. Remove and let it stand 5-10 minutes. This gives it time to thicken, so don't skip it.







Serve warm, flipping pieces over as you serve, so that apples are on top. You could also invert the whole dish onto a large platter, if you have one.


Thanks to Lisa and Jen for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday today!

Also thanks to Amy from All Things Home for the sweet encouragement of a Kreative blog award. I love her ideas for how to decorate her front door for winter. Very welcoming, Amy! I am not very good at passing on bloggy awards, but thank you, Amy! You have "snow" inspired me. :) (See Amy's ideas to understand).

7 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Jenilee said...

looks delicious... we just had french toast last night... the regular old kind. :) might have to try that sometime! thanks for stopping by our family blog! stop back by anytime!

Pami said...

om my gosh looks so good gonna have to give this one a try thanks

dtbrents said...

This is a great recipe. I know my family will enjoy it. Doylene

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Well, that is way more than just french toast. How wonderful. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

Deborah Whitmore said...

This recipe came at a good time. My daughters second grade class is hosting the teachers brunch this Friday. The pictures of the recipe sealed the deal for me. I am signing up to take a french toast casserole. Thank you for the recipe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Yay, Deborah! So glad it came at a good time, and have a sweet time blessing the teachers at school. When I was teaching full-time, those "mom" meals meant so much to me and really were encouraging.