Saturday, December 26, 2009

Losing value

Did you get any "after Christmas" bargains? There have been years I got up early with coffee in hand to wait in giddy anticipation of awesome bottom dollar deals I would find underneath red clearance signs. But not this year ...


I went out about 9 to pick up a copy of a book and exchange an item for one of the kids. I admit that I DID pick up 5 things while at the Christian bookstore, but I put them all back when I put on my glasses (for distance) and looked afar off (sort of like the wise men, but no star) to see a looooong line that sent me re-stocking things I didn't consider worth it.


If you got a great deal, then woohoo! for you! Do you ever stop and wonder, tho', about the change in value of an item from December 24th to December 26th? Something that was $50 before Christmas was $25 or less today. And don't even get me started on Christmas trees .... the lonely few under the "$5 any tree" sign that I passed this week.


Jake tried to trade in a game case today that once cost about $20. When he asked if the game store would give anything for it, they said they could give about 15 cents. Wow! Talk about losing value ...


It's tempting just to accumulate things. I almost bought an ornament today that said "Our new home" just because .... well, just because .... it was 50% off and cute! ;) The day after Christmas can be a rather "down" day for many people, because we can look around and realize that we are surrounded by a lot of stuff that has a little or no value. Stuff that will get worn out, dated, or used up. Satan even tempted Jesus with the lure of easily attaining things.

Matthew 4:8,9 "Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

Not worth it! Instead, Jesus quoted scripture reminding us that we are to worship God and serve Him ... not ourselves and not our stuff. At least we are in good company when we are tempted by the easy lure of "stuff."


As we start 2010 it's a new chance to turn away from things that will lose their value and turn to things that will keep their value.


Luke 21:33 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

1 John 2:17 "The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."


Will we get up early, wait in the dark and plan our strategy to pursue eternal things? Not sure how you did in 2009, but a new year is a great time to ask for God's help in pouring ourselves into things that won't lose their value. There are no "clearance" sales in heaven!


With just days left in 2009 before we mark the start of a new year, I want to invite you to come back on Monday for help in reflecting on how to make New Year's Resolutions that you can reach!

5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

You're so right! I can't wait to read your next series of posts! Sounds good :-)!

Merry Christmas!
Courtney

Cindy Bultema said...

I'm looking forward to your post on Monday! Sounds exciting!!
Hope you had a peace~filled Christmas! Cindy :)

P.S. I am still "laying down those tracks" for you!! Have been keeping you in my prayers each day! :)

Warren Baldwin said...

I don't go shopping on the day after Christmas. For one thing, I live in a small town without any of the big chain stores, so I have to drive at least an hour to get to any. For another, and the main reason, we just spend the day at home "hanging out."

You are right about how things in this world lose value. We just celebrated the birth of one who never loses value, but always grows even more valuable, esp as we grow closer to him.

Good post!

wb

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Amen, Julie! I am looking forward to your Monday post.

I didn't even leave the house yesterday, although I did have a cousin pick up a couple of clearance cookie pans for me when she was at Walmart.

After a couple of very unpleasant day-after-Christmas shopping experiences, I decided that I prefer not to see man (or rather women!)act so selfish and barbaric in attempting to acquire the after-Christmas bargains.

Erin said...

Julie,
I gave you an award over on my blog. Come pick it up and then pass it on!
Erin