Monday, November 23, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ Apple Crisp Pizza

I'm so thankful that during the holidays I just have to be the best "Julie" I can be.

It's good to remember that little truth when I'm feeling expectations (whose? I say ...) to be Martha Stewart, Chonda Pierce, and Mother Teresa all rolled into one? Can you relate? ;)

Here's a recipe for Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday that is both easy, delicious, and beautiful. It feeds a lot of folks, about 12-14. I first found it in an old Taste of Home magazine and have modified it to make it a little easier and a little cheaper than the original.

Apple Crisp Pizza

  • 1 roll of prepared pie crust ( I used Pillsbury.)
  • Spray a 12 inch pizza pan with cooking spray. Press the pie crust into the pan, creating a slight "lip" at the edges.
  • Combine: 2/3 c. sugar, 3 T. flour, 1 t. cinnamon in a bowl.

Slice 3 medium, peeled apples into thin slices, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. Toss the apple slices in the sugar mixture. Arrange the apples in a circular style, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle any extra sugar over the top.

Combine for topping: 1/2 c. flour, 1/3 c. brown sugar, 1/3 c. oatmeal, 1 t. cinnamon. Take 1/4 c. soft butter and cut into the dry mix. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples.


Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes until tender. You may want to cover the crisp with foil in the last ten minutes, if it's browning too quickly.

Remove from oven and drizzle with 1/4 c. caramel ice cream topping, immediately. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!


6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

SnoWhite said...

That looks wonderful!

Melissa @ Southern Mommas said...

Looks looks so yummy. I really like the part of adding the swirl of caramel to the top - That has to be good! I am sure my crew would devour this in one sitting :)

Brenda said...

I love apple crisp, and this one is pretty too!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

It looks yummy and the presentation is wonderful. If I can figure out how to make a caramel substitute for the tween, I will prepare this one!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Heidi,
STB is right that the swirl adds a pretty touch, but I think it would be just as good without the caramel, if you can't find a sub. Tweens and teens love any kind of pizza. :)

Unknown said...

What a BEAUTIFUL!!! apple crisp and the idea of caramel sounds AWESOME!!!
Geri