Monday, November 2, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ 3 Crockpot Fav's

I am so thankful to live in a place where I can enjoy 4 seasons ~ my kitchen loves the inspiration!

The tree outside my window is shedding its leaves, and there was the smell of fireplace smoke in the air today. My schedule looks full, so kitchen time needs to work for me. Time to get out the crockpot! For Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, I want to share 3 of my favorite crockpot recipes. Slow cooking is worth the wait!

A main dish I love: Holiday Cranberry Chicken

  • 3 lb. chicken pieces (4 lb if bone in)
  • dash of salt & pepper
  • 1/2 cup finely diced celery
  • 16 oz. whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 1 c. basic (this means simple & cheap) barbecue sauce
Spray a crockpot with cooking spray. Layer chicken pieces. You may put rings of onion between the layers, if you like. Spread remaining ingredients over top. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. (Same time as the next side dish, so if you have 2 pots, turn them both on together!)

A side dish I love: Candied Sweet Potatoes

6-8 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked until tender, but not mushy. Spray the crock with cooking spray, then slice the sweet potatoes and layer them in the pot. Combine the following and pour over the top:

  • 1/3 cup of butter, melted
  • 20 oz of pineapple tidbits, undrained
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 t. nutmeg
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • a dash of ground cloves
  • optional: 2 T. chopped pecans
Cover and cook for 3 1/2 - 4 hours on High.

A breakfast dish I love: Breakfast Casserole

I adapted this from a recipe in the "Fix it and Forget it Cookbook," and I shared it with my Bible study group. They gave rave reviews. I'll give it in the portions I made for 15.

  • 9 eggs, beaten well
  • 1 lb. of little smokies
  • 2 1/4 c. milk
  • 2 c. shredded colby jack cheese
  • 10 slices of bread, torn into bits (I mixed in leftover croissants & french bread)
  • a few dashes of salt and 3/4 t. dry mustard
Spray the crock (makes for easy cleanup) with cooking spray. Layer the bread, smokies, 1/2 of cheese, & spices. Pour the eggs and milk over the top, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. You can cover it and cook for 2 hours on high, or .... I turned it on high at 7:45 am for 1 1/2 hrs, then I unplugged it, ran to church, and plugged it back in for another 1 1/2 hrs. on low. Worked great!

8 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Sherrie said...

HI!
They all three sound delicious. I'm going to try the Chicken recipe. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

Sherrie

Shelley said...

Wow. They all sound yummy! The sweet potatoes sound so much easier than mine - can't wait to try!

daniele @ domestic serenity said...

Wow, these sounds really delish! Thanks for stopping by again...you're welcome anytime. Appreciate the recipes. :o)

Kristen said...

They all look wonderful, but I am particularly excited about the breakfast casserole recipe - Yum!

Unknown said...

I think that your chicken recipe sounds GREAT!!! I like cranberries with chicken.
Geri

Brenda said...

I'd like to try that breakfast casserole, great for brunches.

SnoWhite said...

Both the sweet potatoes and breakfast dishes sound wonderful. Thanks!

Linda said...

These sound like good recipes. I always forget to spray my crock, but wish I had come cleanup time.