Thursday, November 19, 2009

God's Words on Complaining

I am so thankful to have multiple copies of God's Word to study and treasure. I love having access to Bible study resources, both paper and internet. I feel so rich!


Jeff had the privilege of delivering complete Bibles to a small group of new believers in a "creative access nation," after they had shared one copy of the New Testament for many months. They had all read the precious copy and were openly emotional and grateful to be given copies of the whole Word of God. I love to hear my sweet husband tell this story and uncover the moment freshly each time, as if it was just yesterday.


Aren't we rich to have God's Word? As we prepare for a time of Thanks Giving, I've been spending time reflecting on the opposite of giving thanks: COMPLAINING. You can see the first two "grumbling posts" here and here. Tomorrow we'll talk about helping kids learn not to complain. Any words of wisdom are welcome in the comments ... :)

'Til tomorrow, here are some nuggets of Truth to chew on:

The word used for complaining is "goggysmos" and means murmuring, disputing, even secret displeasure not openly avowed ... which completely ruins my rule of "If you don't have something nice to say, just keep it to yourself." Now .... we have to also deal with it taking root and becoming something nasty like pride or judgment deep in our soul soil. God is very clear about this humanly habit we are so quick to master.

Philippians 2:14

Do everything without complaining or arguing (Read the next verse to see WHY)


1 Peter 4:9

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. (Aren't you glad I showed you this before you host your in-laws for Thanksgiving? :) )


Numbers 12:1

Then Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married (for he had married a Cushite woman) (This is old fashioned family strife, Old Testament style!)


Numbers 16:41

But on the next day all the congregation of the sons of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron, saying, "You are the ones who have caused the death of the LORD'S people." (Moses & Aaron were scoring low in the polls ...)


Colossians 3:8

But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. ("All of it, Lord?" "Yes, all of it.")


Colossians 4:6

Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. (So when you season your turkey next Thursday, add a generous helping of "graceful" speech to the meal.)


Proverbs 19:1

Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than he who is perverse in speech and is a fool. (Trying out for the part of the poor man or the fool?)


Proverbs 22:11

He who loves purity of heart and whose speech is gracious, the king is his friend. (That's motivation!)


Proverbs 21:9

It is better to live in a corner of a roof than in a house shared with a contentious woman. (ouch! What would your man say?)


I met a "blog friend" named Ann at "Honoring the King." Yesterday she shared great thoughts HERE on giving, even practical ideas about what to give when your own circumstances are hard. Instead of being crippled by complaining, give cheerfully out of the abundance of what you do have. Great thoughts from a lady who wants to honor the King.

6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Julie, my dad always told me "If you can't say something nice to someone, don't say anything at all." At times that has been hard (and I have the holes in my tongue to prove it, lol!).

It must be the paint fumes, as I lol at the comments on 1 Peter 4:9 and coupled it with Colossians 4:6. In other words, make sure you use plenty of seasonings if the inlaws are coming ;-)

Break time is over now...and I will chew on this as I continue on today.

Kristi_runwatch said...

So true that complaining starts in our hearts before it ever comes out of our lips!!

I am mourning my beloved Cuisinart coffee pot's demise this morning. It blew up as I was making a banner for our dining room that says, "Give thanks to Him and praise His name." I was NOT having a thankful heart, and the Spirit gently but firmly put me back in check with that segment of God's Word.

How can I complain when we have been blessed with so much? Thank you for the reminder of treasuring God's Word - our shelves are sagging with the weight of written riches. We take SO MUCH for granted.

Unknown said...

Hi Julie,
You are too kind! Thanks so much for linking my post to yours. I do want to encourage others. Even when our circumstances may get the best of us we need to take a moment to be thankful for what we have. I cherish Thanksgiving and Christmas. Both holidays are so close to my heart.

It is not about who gets the most or how much you spend on someone. I really believe it is the thought that counts. Just knowing someone was thinking of me makes my day:)
Take care!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Kristi, I love the image of you making a banner while bemoaning your coffee maker. :) I'm sorry for your loss, but it's such a great picture!

Heather @ CSAHM said...

Yes, complaining is such a struggle for me too. What a great Thanksgiving Theme! I'm writing those scriptures down and putting them on my list to memorize!

Chaos Cottage said...

Julie, thank you for your lovely words on my blog. Prayers are very much appreciated. Have a safe trip and get in lots of lovin' from your family. See you soon.

Pam