Monday, August 24, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ Love for Lunch

In honor of Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, I want to encourage those who send "someone to school" to include some LOVE for LUNCH. I send my two sweethearts to different destinations each day, as they are schooled in two different ways this year. I love knowing God is able to watch them both, at the same time, with equal attention and care. Amazing!

Some days, Jacob has lunch with me, or the two of us go out as part of our learning at home. Most days, JoHanna takes her lunch to high school, where I am thankful God has given her a friend to have lunch with. No matter where a lunch is enjoyed, a little love goes a long way to make the food nourish the body and the spirit. Here are a few ideas:

  • Use a heart cookie cutter to create a message that will bring a smile. Cut sandwiches, cookies, cheese, or breads in a heart shape. Realize there comes a time, though, when our sons don't appreciate pulling this from a lunchbox ... but they probably love to find it on a tray at home. ;)
  • Napkins are a wonderful place to write a message that blesses. Again, be thoughtful of "elevating, not embarrassing" your student, so that it speaks love and not insensitivity. I love to write: Have a great Tuesday! Be happy, it's Friday! You're awesome! Praying 4U. Luv U.
  • Post it notes make great quick messages to stick to a plastic baggie. Keep it simple or just draw a picture.
  • Toss in some confetti or a comic strip to "send a smile" for lunch.
  • Send a treat and a few extras, so your student can share = a seed of friendship!
  • If there's a place to purchase a treat, occasionally send some change to indulge and make lunch an "event."
You can create delicious wraps and gourmet sandwiches, but adding some love will make the whole day go down easier. This goes for lunchboxes going to school, trays for those at home, and even briefcases for those heading to the office. Everything tastes better with the spreading on of a little love!

Do you have an idea for how you send love for lunch?

10 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

MadeInCanarias said...

These are really great and sweet ideas :D
I would like to have that kind of lunch! :)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Wonderful ideas!

Signing Out said...

These are great ideas! I'm visiting from Jen's. I love your blog and will be visiting again soon.

Jane

Sarah said...

I love to hear more ideas for lunches. My kids like Lunchables but I won't buy them (I'v tasted them and they are no good)....make your own but cut the meat and cheese with a small heart cookie cutter and they'll never miss the real thing! Anything you can place on a stick works well too :)

Brenda said...

Thats a cute idea. Nice for womens events too.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Great ideas.... Thanks for linking to TMTT.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Nice ideas. When I was in high school my mom used to write me little notes on the napkins in my lunch bag. My friends actually thought it was cool, and they wished their moms did stuff like that.

Unknown said...

Great ideas. I will have to remember to share these with some of my students' parents. I would love to invite you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Please come check it out. Thanks so much for posting.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! And I appreciate the encouragement - especially when it feels like many think I'm crazy to leave a job in today's economy. Thanks.

Lana said...

that is too sweet! I'm going to buy a big heart cutter soon!
Thanks for the idea.