Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ Chicken Pockets

When do I have time to plan meals and sift through new recipes? While sitting in the school pick up line, of course. :) Here's a favorite recipe that works GREAT as a leftover for a school lunch. When I send my kids off on their own (or my husband, for that matter), I think the food I send can do some talking for me. Food talks, and I want what I send to speak "love." When my girl opens her lunch bag today, I want her to hear "I love you" coming from inside. Now, don't go overboard on this ... my mom's lunches used to say "Julie brings a whole picnic" when I went to school. I tried to hide the smorgasboard behind the red snoopy lid (no, that was not in high school!). She meant well :) ... and she taught me that a lunchbox can hold a huge pick-me-up in someone's day. It often did for me. Thanks, Mom!

This is one of my daughter's favorites, and I usually double it. It was first made for us by sweet Mary Ann W. in Ohio, when I was so sick the whole family was shut down. We have made this ever since, including as a birthday request! Kids love it; make extra. It's sure to bring a smile to a student when they pull this out of their bag.

Chicken Pockets ~ serves 8
2 pkgs. crescent rolls
4 oz. cream cheese, soft
3 T. margarine, melted
2 T. milk
2 C. cooked, chopped chicken
1/4 t. salt and 1/8 t. pepper or Mrs. Dash

Make squares of dough by pressing two triangles of dough together at the seams. Mix all remaining ingredients. Put 1/8th of the mixture into the center of each square and "gather" the corners at the top (I like to do a little twist as I finish). Press the open seams together with a gentle pinch to make a sealed pocket. Place about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Spray the pockets with a little cooking spray, and sprinkle parmesan cheese or cracker crumbs on top. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. These are great cold in a lunch box!
Come visit my "peace" of the blogosphere tomorrow when we talk about how to encourage a teacher. If you have ideas, I'd love to hear them. It's that time of year!

Find more lunchbox ideas and more at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday blog carnivals.

11 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Unknown said...

Ummm those look so good! I will have to try them! :)

patty@somuchmore said...

Thanks Julie,

Sounds incredible! I will make it this week - maybe today. : )

Sherrie said...

Hi!
These sound so good and easy! I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

Sherrie

Missy said...

i love this recipe :) i used to make it so often that my husband laughs when i bring up making these yummy things :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Sounds delicious! I wonder if I could sub the cream cheese for something else? My husband has an aversion to cream cheese--he is weird. ;) Visiting from Jen's party. :)

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Girrrrlll - this is so funny - honestly - this is what I am making for my family for dinner tonight - I've made these for years! I was planning to take pics and post it for a Tasty Tuesday in the fall! So you'll be seeing it on my blog eventually! I give you two thumbs up on this recipe hehe!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yehaw! I have all those ingredients!! Sounds good.

MadeInCanarias said...

Your recipe sounds really delicious!

~Country Lady~ said...

I love these! It's been a long time since I've made them. I think I will be making them again soon thanks to you. I also serve mine with a chicken sauce/gravy spooned lightly over them. Yummy!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Courtney, can't wait to see your photo version this fall. :) They are just a favorite you can keep "bringing back." And Amanda, I would love to know what you sub for the cream cheese. I was once "out" and used mashed potatoes as my filler. It was still great! I really like Country Lady's idea of serving with a gravy sauce. Thanks for visiting my kitchen, gals!

Emily said...

Sound yummy. I have a similar recipe I call Chicken Bundles. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us! :)