Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cairns ~ Praying for the Teacher

If you've started some format of school already that involves another adult other than yourself, you have probably already decided if you "like or don't like" the teacher. You may've identified who's going to be the challenge and who's going to take more work to encourage, communicate with, or even tolerate. They may have, too. :) Whatever the case in the teachers God has chosen for US and for our kids this year, they need our prayers, and our hearts usually follow where our prayers lead the way. Here are some ideas for how to become a partner in prayer for your teachers:

Fifteen Ways to Pray for the Teacher


  1. Pray for insight into student needs, educationally, socially, emotionally, and physically
  2. Pray for them to have creativity and wisdom in planning for effective teaching
  3. Pray for understanding of curriculum and the ability to absorb what they're accountable to teach
  4. Pray that they will use their time and resources (even if inadequate) wisely
  5. Pray for self-control when they meet especially difficult people (students, parents, other staff)
  6. Pray for patience to deal with the difficult and hard to handle behaviors/attitudes they face daily
  7. Pray for compassion for those children who have special needs and the skill to care for them
  8. Pray that when they need to sort out truth, they will have wisdom to choose well
  9. Pray they will have a desire to teach what is true and for careful language in communication of it
  10. Pray they'll experience God's peace in the midst of balancing the personal and professional (this may include their salvation)
  11. Pray they will have a humble, teachable spirit, open to what will make them a better teacher
  12. Pray for them to have the privilege of seeing progress and achievements in their students
  13. Pray that they will experience joy in their role as a teacher
  14. Pray that they will love their students
  15. Pray for them to turn to God when they feel inadequate or overwhelmed

And once you've established a good pattern of praying for your teachers, you will care about them. THEN, it's time to ask God to give you a chance to ask this question, "Is there a way I can pray for you?" What a wonderful question to pose to a teacher who gives so much to others.

I would love it if you would leave a comment and tell me about one teacher/adult you will be praying for this year.

Cairns,

5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. I recently started a prayer book. I don't know if you have heard of those or rather a prayer journal. It is a 3 ring binder and I have placed all the people I am praying for in there as well as prayers to say when I don't know what to say. Sometimes I don't know what to say or really how to say it. I am filling it full of prayers for our nation, my spouse, my children, my Pastor, the church and now for the teacher, thanks to you. School starts here for my children next week. I pray it is a great school year for all our children.
God bless!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Ann, that's a great idea, and there's no doubt that God will give you great answers to write on those pages. I've been praying for you daughter, too, and I hope it will be a great start for her.

Cindy Bultema said...

Dear Julie :)
Thank you for the prayer ideas! I am a mom of 4 children ~ and am commiting to lift up each of their 4 teachers in prayer. You've blessed me today with these ideas on being their partner in prayer. Thank you!! :)

Julie said...

I'm so glad it's helpful, Cindy. When our children spend a lot of time with other adults as the "investors" in a piece of their lives, it makes such a difference to pray for them. Blessings on your 4!

Sarah said...

What a beautiful post. I was a public school teacher for years in the inner city. I know this will bless countless warriors in the schools.

Blessings to you from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn