Tuesday, June 30, 2009

19th Anniversary! & Tasty Tuesday

The wedding day was hot, and the old stone church was cool. Our flowers were a disaster. The cake was perfect. My mom and dad worked so hard to make it wonderful. The church was filled with people we loved. I wore a dress I found on a clearance rack, and my sister said I looked like Cinderella. :) I did my own hair and nails. I wore isotoner slippers under my dress( ... why miss the joy due to sore feet?). I wore a veil borrowed from my youth group counselor, Gretchen. I smeared my nail polish. The service was long :) ... there was so much we wanted to include, so much scripture, so much music, our own vows. Jeff cried. I cried. My parents cried. Tears of joy! Our hearts were so full. We drove off in a borrowed antique Model A car as our loved ones released balloons into the air (I've gotten over the guilt for not being green that day ... ) , and we began our life together. These 19 years have been full of adventure and learning and joy and challenges and God's faithfulness. God gave me a precious gift in my sweet husband. Our future looks great!

On this Tasty Tuesday and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, in honor of my man, I want to share one of Jeff's most favorite breakfast dishes; I found it in the earliest years of our marriage. I continue to make it by request ... or just as an overflow of love! I hope you'll enjoy it.

Dutch Babies (aka German Puffed Pancakes & Bismarks)

2 t. butter
1 egg
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. flour
1/4 t. almond extract (optional)
1/2 t. grated lemon zest (optional)

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Put butter in an individual ramekin or, if multiplying the recipe up to 4X, pour into a pie pan sized dish (round works best). Place the dish in the hot oven until butter melts completely. Beat the egg until bright; gradually add the remaining ingredients, blending with a whisk. Pour batter into the hot pan and bake about 12 minutes, 'til puffed and golden. It will puff up high and be beautiful! Serve immediately, with powdered sugar dusted on top. You can also add: berries, warm applesauce, sauteed fruit, toasted almonds, shredded coconut, or whipped cream.

9 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! May God continue to bless you both!

Anonymous said...

I love weddings & hearing wedding stories! They make my heart swell & remind me of my wedding & the joy and love for my husband! Happy Anniversary! Jennifer

The Desperate Cook said...

Your wedding sounds like it was beautiful, how can you go wrong when you have your loved ones around. Happy Anniversary and Many More

Chaos Cottage said...

Would love to see a picture of you two on your wedding day. Hint-hint.

Pam

Brenda said...

Congratulations! We love dutch babies

Wendy Widder said...

Ah, the flowers. :) In hindsight, it was a wonderful opportunity for your Dad to save the day. :)

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Happy Anniversary - you are almost to 20!!! Yaaaa!!!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Happy Anniversary. This recipes looks great. Thank you for sharing your sweet wedding memory and recipe with us. Thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Cathy said...

Happy Anniversary wishes, a little late. I really like your blog. Thanks for visiting my music website today.