Thursday, May 21, 2009

REAL Confidence #3

When my mom picked me up from school to take me home because we had received a kidnapping threat (That' right. Read it again.), I wondered, "Who keeps me safe?" During a labor dispute, someone thought my dad could somehow shift the conflict. The result was being watched over by a guard who stood on our front porch, while we stayed inside with some sense of safety. More than ever today, news reports of crazy people doing crazy things leave kids and adults wondering, "Who keeps me safe?"

The possibilities could paralyze us and rob us of our confidence. It doesn't need to be that way. Instead of trusting in people or ... pepper spray (tried that), there is no substitute for the reality of our True Protector. The world's FAKE PROTECTION from confidence in our own strength (the old flesh thing again) or ingenuity leads to a VULNERABLE LIFE. This is not to say that we should be unwise, but our sense of confidence hinges on our trust. Life with a constant sense of vulnerability, with no real answer, is exhausting! Psalm 121:2-8 is a beautiful testimonial of Who is able to keep us.

Psalm 121:2-8
2My help comes from the LORD,Who made heaven and earth.
3He will not allow your foot to slip;He who keeps you will not slumber.
4Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5The LORD is your keeper;the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
6The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night.
7The LORD will protect you from all evil;He will keep your soul.
8The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.

That's REAL PROTECTION, and that leads to a truly SAFE LIFE! Psalm 71:3 points out that God is our refuge, so there is no reason to fear. For our day, that's a promise to cling to. Confidence in our Divine Keeper brings us great peace.

What fear do you wrestle with today that needs the promise of REAL PROTECTION?

2 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Anonymous said...

Fear is a big one for me. I wrestle with trusting God with my son (his safety and life). I feel myself surrendering to God once again in this area, tonight.
Becca Ware

Julie said...

That's something I can relate to, also, Becca. I remember the moment that it "hit" me that I would never stop needing to trust God with my children ... JoHanna was sitting in her carseat. I try to remind myself that God cares more about my children than I do. That's hard to grasp. Thanks for sharing. Jeff and I would love to meet your little guy. :)